Succulent Braised Beef with Mashed Potatoes
INGREDIENTS for the braised beef
- 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) beef for braising (shoulder cover)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms
- Rosemary, as needed
- Approximately 2 cups red wine (500 ml)
- About 1.5 cups demi-glace (350 g)
Begin by tying the meat. Season with salt, pepper, and olive oil, then sear it on all sides in a pan until golden. Set it aside.
Dice the vegetables and prepare the dried porcini mushrooms.
In the same pot, sauté the veggies, then add the tomato paste, wine, and demi-glace.
Place the meat back in, add rosemary, cover, and simmer for at least 5 hours or until the meat is tender.
Strain the sauce and it's ready to serve.
INGREDIENTS for the mashed potatoes
- 7 oz boiled potatoes (200 g)
- 2 tablespoons butter (30 g)
- Just under 1/2 cup hot milk (100 ml)
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese (30 g)
- Salt to taste
Cook the potatoes.
Mash them and combine with butter, hot milk, Parmesan cheese, and salt to taste.