Mac and Cheese with a twist
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
- 4 types of cheese (in my case, Swiss, Fontina, Gorgonzola, Brie) + Parmigiano Reggiano
- 50g diced Mozzarella (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 400g cream (14 oz, approx. 1 3/4 cups)
- 100g milk (3.5 oz, approx. 1/2 cup)
- 25g butter (approx. 2 tbsp)
- 25g flour (approx. 2 tbsp)
- Sage (optional)
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 250g pasta (9 oz, approx. 1 1/2 cups)
Grate the Swiss and Fontina together. Heat a pat of butter in a saucepan and gently fry the finely chopped onion. Add a bit of sage, flour, milk, cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add a generous slice of Gorgonzola and a generous slice of Brie, the two previously grated cheeses, and let them melt. Stir in paprika.
Separately, cook the pasta al dente and mix it into the cheese cream. Pour the pasta halfway into a previously greased baking dish. Add mozzarella, more Swiss, and cover with another layer of pasta. Sprinkle with another layer of Swiss and Fontina and cover with grated Parmesan. Gratinate at 200°C (390°F) for 15 minutes.